Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Wild Garden

I am feeling much better after a few days of antibiotics and Ken and I decided to take a walk around the grounds of the place where we're staying. While strolling to the far side of the property, we stumbled upon a great garden of all kinds of good stuff!

On the way there, we first spotted this enormous avocado tree.

Being an aficionado, I had already picked up a few Guatemalan avocados, and I have to say, this is the one place I prefer what we have back home (which is probably Mexican.) The ones here are more rounded so there is more flesh, but both of the ones I tried were inedible. Perhaps it is shopper error. ;-)

Moving deeper into the property, we came across several small groves of coffee. Aska, the owner's girlfriend, told us that this place used to be a coffee farm at one time. No wonder Ken likes it so much.


After walking past at least several dozen coffee plants, we came across a "proper" garden.


They simply used the branches of nearby trees to create the little fence around this herb garden area. Beyond the fenced area, there were also some vegetables.



I believe those are beets and carrots, and possibly others?


Then we came across one of my favorites, mangoes! Not quite ripe, but we'll be here another few weeks. You can bet we'll be checking! 


A couple blackberry bushes, also being supported by the cut branches of another tree. 



Crazy, wild squash stretching everywhere throughout the various plant areas.


A few pepper plants sprinkled among the others, not an area set aside for just them. Wondering if that is a strategy?





And two of my favorites - lime and banana! We also have them just outside our window. I have a couple drinks I am using the limes with - I make what I like to call a "Beer-a-Rita" with one of our Dorado beers (3/4) and lime juice (1/4) over ice. I also make limeade with water (3/4) and lime juice (1/4) over ice with a dash of maple syrup (we don't have any sugar or other type of sweetener. Believe it or not, I kinda like the addition of a little maple flavor.

Here are a few other cool plants from the property that I have yet to identify.



I'm spending one more day on the mend, hanging around our studio and working on stuff for clients. We are talking about heading to San Marcos tomorrow and renting a couple kayaks to bring back our groceries and then explore more of the lake. More on that later. As the folks around here say, Caio!



1 comment:

  1. Must be incredibly awesome to experience a tropical rainforest.

    ReplyDelete