Friday, August 30, 2013

Grateful my Dad is Okay

The first word in the title of this blog is gratitude, and that is what I am feeling today even as I am reeling from the news that my dad was in a serious bike accident this morning back in Sacramento.

My dad is probably the fittest person I know. He runs, plays tennis, lifts weights, and rides his bike - gets a workout in everyday or he just doesn't feel right. He is a custodian at the elementary school where I grew up and was on his way at 5 a.m. when he hit something in the road.

The hardest part is that no one stopped to help him. Even though he was partially in the lane, cars drove around him - he was with it enough to be upset that he had to call 911 himself. You see, my dad is the kind of person that would help. He is the kind of person who makes friends wherever he goes, who cares about people and stays connected to everyone he meets.


The weather here today in Guatemala is rainy, and it feels like it is mirroring my mood. Nice rain, throughout the day, kinda soothing.

I talked to dad today and he is in good spirits, being released from the hospital and my sister is there. It is so hard not to be there with them. He didn't want me to find out here in Guatemala because he didn't want me to worry, that is so dad. Then he started singing "All I Want for Christmas is my Two Front Teeth," to cheer me up. Because that's what dad does, he takes care of other people. And I have been lucky enough to grow up in the love of a man like that - who always made me feel like I was perfect, just the way I am. He also provided a model of respect, kindness, fairness, love, and joy. There is no greater gift.






2 comments:

  1. i'm so glad everything is alright. i'm also amused by your dad's singing to help you feel at ease. must have felt like a international hug!gratitude is contagious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the kind words, my dad is one of a kind and his singing is just one example.

    ReplyDelete