Saturday, September 7, 2013

Don't be that Guy - Ugly Brit

So for the most part the people I have met here - expat/EP, latino, or indigenous, have been wonderful. However, I would be remiss if I didn't point out the behavior of the guy I had the opportunity to share a boat ride with twice in the last week.

Ugly Brit, as I will call him because I don't know his name, doesn't shower and runs around with blond dreds. He sat behind me on a boat to Pana, and spoke loudly so that he could ensure all the passengers could benefit from his 20 year old wisdom.

He and his girlfriend (who was Spanish speaking) began to joke about the floating bar they would open together. It would be a pirate ship and at the end of each day they would burn either an American or an Israeli flag. They laughed heartily at their visualization.

Then our boat pulled into the Pana dock and the two began to realize that they may not have enough between them to pay for the boat - doh! I was quite tempted to turn around and tell them that this American would have helped them out, but since they hate my country so much...

It's sort of like family, ya know? I can critique because I love my country. But let someone else talk about 'merica and it's on!

I thought that was the end of it and the episode didn't make my blog until I had the pleasure of running into Ugly Brit again today. Within 15 seconds, I turned to Ken and said, it's him! His ridiculous valley boy/British accent is like nothing else on the lake.

He carried a dog onto the boat in San Pedro, and the poor dog was terrified. His girlfriend was with him as well as a friend of theirs on crutches. He repeatedly told everyone on the boat how much his dog Maya hated to be on the boat, but never explained why he was forcing her to do so.

He tried to make friends with a girl on the boat travelling alone by telling her that he and his girlfriend worked at at hostel in San Marcos that was the best and she could go over there with them, smoke out, and check the place out. The girl seemed a little put off.

He then launched into another ridiculous rant, this time specifically calling out Israeli customers at the hostel for asking for minor adjustments to food he was preparing as part of his job. He bragged that he would tell them to screw off because he wouldn't adjust the order for anyone. I only wish he had said exactly where he worked so I could give everyone the name of the place.

And to top it all off, they decided that the 6 1/2 minute boat trip was too long to have a cigarette and were flicking their ashes into the wind and they landed on the laps of the rest of us on the boat. Ken later told me he was tempted to say something except that the cigarettes smelled better than they did.

When we arrived at San Marcos, it was quite some time before he realized it was his stop and he was laying across the boat steps, making it impossible for the other passengers to disembark.

We both were just grateful he had a British accent and hoped everyone could tell the difference.

1 comment:

  1. It's nice to know there a nasty people all over the world not just in good old USA.

    ReplyDelete