Thursday, September 5, 2013

Ode to Indy (2002-2013)


Ken and I picked out Indy at the SPCA in 2004, she was a dignified dog who also appeared to be very smart and sweet. She also looked pretty scary, somewhat like a police dog. I lived by myself in an eclectic neighborhood that could get interesting at times.

I was working for a technology firm about 30 minutes away, and I had to leave her home alone. I left her in the house so she would be comfortable. She was such a trooper, never had an accident, even on the longest days. I tried to make it up to her with weekday evening trips to the nearby dog park, weekend bike rides (with her doggy attachment), and weekend adventures involving hiking, swimming, and other fun. 

Indy's best friend during this time was my neighbor's dog Rex. Rob and Roger and I would regularly open a bottle of wine, sit on their lawn, and watch the two doggies wrestle each other into complete exhaustion and filth.

Eventually, Indy started going to work with Ken on the days I stayed at his place. He and a partner had their own company, about 6-7 people, and they loved having her around the office. Indy loved being there as well, making lots of friends with employees, clients, and vendors alike.

Indy also became a big part of my extended family, attending holiday gatherings and BBQs with us. As my nephew Devin was growing up, he would routinely ask if his "cousin" could stay the night. According to my sister, Indy made it so much easier to get him up for school. He's not a morning kind of kid, but Indy would run into his room, jump on his bed, and start licking and nudging him until he burst into giggles.

Indy was a model citizen at dog parks. She felt it was her duty to greet every dog that came into the park with a lick on the face (sometimes not appreciated) and if any sort of conflict erupted, Indy went rushing to step between the grieving parties.

She was a very intuitive, kind spirit who was a silent but important friend to me during some of my toughest times. She somehow knew when I needed her to give me a lick, walk over and place her head under my hand, or give me one of her famous leaning hugs.

Our best times together were our adventures. The three of us have hiked all over Northern California. We camped and boated when we got the chance and one of our favorite memories is of Indy jumping off the boat as we came close to shore and running to the edge of the waves and nipping and barking at them as is they were alive.

As sad as we are that we weren't with her at the end, we are comforted that she was with my sister and her family who loved her as their own. She was loved.




No comments:

Post a Comment