Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Ruminations on the Leap

One day you will wake up and there won’t be any more time to do the things you’ve always wanted. Do it now. -


As the time to leave winds down, I find that my feelings come and go in cycles. I feel some sadness as I think about the people and groups I will miss. For example, my nephew Avery. I realize that my decision to travel will mean I won't have the relationship with him that I have had with my other nieces and nephews.

I feel panicked to spend as much time as possible with him before we go. Yesterday we went to a book store together and picked out a backpack and some books -and I picked up one of the ones you record your voice. It helps to know that they will likely be visiting in Guatemala and technology will keep us close.

I also feel excitement building, almost to the point that I can't focus on anything else. There is so much to do, so many practical considerations that have to be addressed before we leap. I feel like a senior in high school after Easter Break - I just want to be leaping already!!

Here are a few things that have to happen before that:
  • Deciding how much storage we will have and where that will be
  • Deciding what we are storing, what we are taking with us, and what we are parting with
  • Getting rid of everything in the third category
  • Figuring out our health insurance/evacuation insurance situation
  • Figuring out our residency situation
  • Figuring out our tax situation
  • Getting rid of both our cars, our quad, our scooter and replacing them all with an FJ cruiser
  • Getting USDA certification of our cat's health 
  • Getting our home rented out
  • Planning out our first couple months of travel
  • Figure out car insurance for Mexico, Central America
  • Booking my flights to return for presentations/training for clients in February, March, and July
  • Finishing up a few video shoot dates so I have the footage to work on for clients while I travel
  • Finalizing plans for our business address and who will be checking it
  • All the things I haven't yet thought about - thank goodness I can pick up my phone on my nightstand and speak my thoughts into Google Keep at 3 a.m.
Geeze, I'm tired just thinking about it.

2 comments:

  1. Don't worry it will all come together. My son and daughter-in-law went through the same thing when they decided to spend 2.5 years in London. It was worth every minute they lived and worked there. They loved it all. There hardest part was perging all the extra stuff they collected over the two years, so they didn't have to bring it all back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Jana, I always count on you to rally!

    ReplyDelete