Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Omens

I drove to my bank to send the deposit for our place in Guatemala that we will be renting from mid April to mid September. As I pulled up, I spied an FJ Cruiser in the bank parking lot and had to snap a picture. We are actively looking at FJ Cruisers as the likely vehicle to carry us south to Guatemala.

And of course I sent it to Ken with a cutesy message about it being an omen, and he of course, agreed.

On my way in, the "greeter" tells me to have a seat at an empty desk and they will get me a wire transfer form. The poor woman seems awfully busy, moving back and forth asking people about this form. Several minutes later, she approaches with a four page form and tells me to follow her to see a personal banker who is seated at a desk.

He tells me it's better to fill it our online and then spends some time searching online using the number of the form printed in front of him. He eventually apologizes and says that they just changed their wire transfer process and that's why it is taking so long.

He eventually finds the form and begins to enter my information, while letting it slip that it will cost me $40 to send the transfer. What?!! The last time I sent money at Walmart, it was $9.

So the banker agrees that $40 is a lot and thinks maybe they can offer it cheaper. He researches some more and finds me a way to send for $4....however, they don't send to our landlord's bank. We can send to another bank in the area and he can pick up there even if he doesn't account.

Hmmm, intriguing, but I think I better do it the way I was instructed. So I go down to Walmart and full out the wire form and wait in what seems like it will be a forever line. I finally get to the front and turns out they don't allow you to send to a particular account anymore, just to the closest Moneygram location. I don't remember ever seeing one there, so better not.

So if something good is a omen, is this hassle an omen too? I dunno, I'm just paying attention to the positive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment